Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Main Sail Furling Motor Issue

Duane Siegfri

I did a detailed write up on the manual furler overhaul, not the motor gearbox.

It's pretty simple.  Remove the cover plates, you'll have to pry them off carefully.  Inside you'll find a worm gear that drives a large bronze gear on a shaft that turns the furler.  This bronze gear is known to wear out, so I replaced it while I had it apart (sourced from Amel).  You'll also need the oil seals.  You need the bearing puller to remove the bronze gear, and the top and bottom bearing.  I understand that they were originally filled with oil.  Following advice on the forum I filled them with grease.  Many people installed grease zerts so they could top up the grease.  While I had them off I painted them, many people have them powder coated.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477