Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Main Sail Furling Motor Issue

Porter McRoberts

Gents.
I am enjoying the recent chatter re the main furling motor.
I just pulled mine out as it was quite “tired”
Dissection revealed cancerous corrosion everywhere. Our is the vertical type which sits in the mast, and turns on the same axis as the furling foil. I had asked the former owners mechanic how to service the motor while we were in Martinique in April. His response “you don’t, it’s fine...”. During removal I noted an errant zip tie (of still unexplained importance or virtue) sitting atop the seal/gasket which seemed to have worn significantly the seal/gasket and permitted the egress of the elements.
The motor could not be resuscitated. A new one from our man Thierry arrives Wednesday.
So: my question: other than the habitual application of silicone grease to the seal and corrosion X inside, any other tips for prophylaxis on this vertically aligned motor?
I’d appreciate any thoughts!

Duane, I looked for your original treatise and could not find it if you could send I’d be obliged.

Many thanks to you all.

Porter
Ibis 54-152. Panama

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Jan 14, 2019, at 2:56 PM, John Clark john.biohead@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Chuck,
    I did the same rebuild of both gears.  The manual furler is also the thrust bearing for the mainsail foil.  It rusted to mush and almost seized up.  The bearings are off the shelf wheel bearings....cost less than 20 USD.  The trick to getting the bearings out is heat.  I put the case in the oven heated to about 350F and the big bearing pops right out.

Seals are the same off the shelf parts ...

I think I posted the part numbers on the forum.  If you cannot find the post I will send you a list.

Regards John

SV Annie,.. SM 37
Prickly Bay

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019, 9:11 AM Chuck Lacey clacey9@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@... wrote:

Thanks Duane. I now remember you did a detailed write up on this. I will go back and read. Fortunately my manual furler is working or we would be motoring everywhere. Once fixed I'll keep it well lubed to fight corrosion.
Chuck
Joy SM #388
East bound to St.Martin
Windward Gods be kind

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 6:41 PM sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Chuck,

Same thing happened to me.  The top bearing in the gearbox was rusted solid, both in the motor gearbox and the manual furler.

There is a list of the bearings used somewhere on the forum.  You can do this overhaul yourself if you have a bearing puller.  The bearings are pretty cheap.

I'm going to start hitting the top bearings in the gearbox with a "wet" bicycle chain oil.  This top bearings does not get enough lubrication from below, but it does have some saltwater penetration.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477