Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Since we are talking about seals...

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Duane,

On my first install I pushed the wearing bearing into contact with the outer seal and left it so.. Incredibly the touching face of the bearing, not the seal wore significantly. The seals did their two years with out problems and the touching seal showed no deterioration . I had installed the outer seal blank side out. Obviously this is an anecdote of what I did wrong, not a recommended action.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 17 January 2019 at 03:08 "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Duane,

The detailed instructions you quote are not mine, but Bill Rouse's, and they are a good detailed description of the assembly sequence for the C-drive seals.

Remember that the bushing turns with the shaft, and the seals do not. The key is you want the face of the bushing (or as Amel calls it the "wearing out bearing") to NOT touch and rub on the the outermost seal, AND you do not want to pull it so far out that the deepest seal drops off the inner edge or to where the aft side of the bushing interferes with the line cutter. Also, a smaller gap here between the bushing and seal reduces the chance of fishing line, or seaweed wrapping on the shaft and damaging the seal lip.

I do not measure the 0.5mm, I just make sure I can see a crack of daylight all the way round, between the shoulder of the bushing and the seal.  As my grandmother would have said in her own highly technical style, "a schooch."

Bill Rouse might want to throw in his ideas here as well, but I think we are talking here not about 0.5mm +/- 0.01, but rather something more like 0.5mm +/- 0.2  In other words, if you wanted to be totally compulsive about it, a feeler gauge would give you an exact answer, but it is more than a bit of unneeded precision.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Spanish Wells, Bahamas