Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine blower fan

smiles bernard

Thanks for this Danny

Yes I agree - on our old boat we had a Rutland that worked well in light airs but still did not add much with the wind behind

I do love the 3 way charging we have onboard. Solar/wind and water from the prop. Amazing power options. We never charge with the engine.

But our wind gen is looking increasingly sad and it soon time to replace it or switch it to solar.

Putting a wind gen on top of our mizzen would be a super solution but the trusting stay in my older Maramu gets in the way of the mast head top surface
So I’m considering just moving to more solar. If money were not a limiting factor (!) I would completely remove the stainless rear arch. Currently this holds a 200w domestic Panasonic solar which is great but I’d prefer to move to pivotable solar mounted on the side rails and a nice clutter free stern for a Hydrovane. I really miss having a wind vane and of course amongst its other benefits it reduces power consumption a great deal.

Many thanks for all the thoughts and experience.

You all make this a wonderful forum.

All the best

Miles

On 16 Jan 2019, at 20:49, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Miles, our Super Wind 350 wind gen is on top of the mizzen. Very pleased with its placement and performance. I agree with Alan, wind forward of the beam when sailing makes it more effective. Under 10 knot apparent it does very little. 15 knots, quite good, 20 and over we are "cooking with gas"

I like the combination of wind and solar.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean pearl

On 17 January 2019 at 04:16 "smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Miles

I wish my wind gen was up on the mizzen mast - makes loads of sense.

Although .  . . . I’d be interested to hear how it performs with the wider motion at sea / on passage  ?

Actually from my experience the wind gens are great at anchor but not so useful on passages so perhaps it’s a mute point and the main focus for installation should just be an at anchor solution?

All the very best
Miles
Maramu 46 #162

On 15 Jan 2019, at 21:54, Miles Bidwell milesbid@... [amelyachtowners] < amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Re: Julie
You and Glen have much to contribute . I remember adding a wind generator to my mizzenmast with your help almost 20 years ago (is that really possible ?) and I know about the emergency fixes you did on you circumnavigation. I am delighted to be in touch with you again .

Regards,
Miles
S/y Ladybug sm 216 , Le Marin, Martinique