seals and bottom paint...

eric freedman

Hi Bill,

When I first took delivery of Kimberlite, I was rather anal about bottom painting and maintenance of the bow thruster and C drive seals. I painted the bottom and changed all the seals etc. every year for about 10 years. As you mentioned, Amel in LA Rochelle mentioned the screwdriver method to remove the seals. I have always done it with a big 20 inch long screwdriver and the seals pop out like magic.

You must be careful about the orientation of the tip of the blade. However if done correctly the long screwdriver does a wonderful job.

.

Just as a point of interest, I always used Ablative paint and sanded between coats. Last year the bottom was looking rather rough.

After about 14 coats of bottom paint it was time to remove it all  . Just so I would not harm the gelcoat, and media blast,  I had the yard use a chemical stripper to get back down to gelcoat. It required 13 gallons of paint stripper.

We decided to weigh the paint that was removed. It filled 2 very large drums weighing a total exceeding 300 pounds of old paint.

I guess I will have to lower the boot stripe.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376