seals and bottom paint...
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
When I first took delivery of Kimberlite, I was rather anal about bottom painting and maintenance of the bow thruster and C drive seals. I painted the bottom and changed all the seals etc. every year for about 10 years. As you mentioned, Amel in LA Rochelle mentioned the screwdriver method to remove the seals. I have always done it with a big 20 inch long screwdriver and the seals pop out like magic.
You must be careful about the orientation of the tip of the blade. However if done correctly the long screwdriver does a wonderful job.
Just as a point of interest, I always used Ablative paint and sanded between coats. Last year the bottom was looking rather rough.
After about 14 coats of bottom paint it was time to remove it all . Just so I would not harm the gelcoat, and media blast, I had the yard use a chemical stripper to get back down to gelcoat. It required 13 gallons of paint stripper.
We decided to weigh the paint that was removed. It filled 2 very large drums weighing a total exceeding 300 pounds of old paint.
I guess I will have to lower the boot stripe.
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376
From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2019 7:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Since we are talking about seals...
I read your seal write-up and recognized NIKIMAT's bow thruster photo with an added "red don't do X."
I have found that there is usually more than one good way to perform almost every procedure. There are many Amel owners that use the screw method that was illustrated by Alex. I certainly don't intend to debate which is the best method and I don't believe anyone in this group is uniquely qualified to do so.
When I audited Amel workers removing C-Drive seals, they placed the flat tip screwdriver under a seal at 9 o'clock and the other side of the screwdriver at 3 o'clock. Then levered the seals out one at a time. I asked for a printed copy of the Amel instructions and discovered those exact instructions using a screwdriver. A month later, I had the opportunity to try it and found it worked perfectly.