Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] A54 : can I switch from butane to propane? + advise how to sail to Taiwan?

ngtnewington Newington

Hi there,
In 1990-1994 circumnavigation in my first boat I sailed Panama- Marquesas (38days) then Tuamotus, Society Islands, Tonga, NZ, Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Rabaul in New Britain, and then Sailed north in January to Palau and then through Surigao straits to Cebu then we went to Palawan and on to Kota Kinabalu however you would  sail north to Luzon and then on to Taiwan.
The main thing is to time your cyclone/typhoon seasons. I suggest being in the Solomons in October/November then Christmas near the equator. By which time the northern hemisphere safe sailing season starts, but the area from Palau onwards is never safe from typhoons even in January to April period. I would suggest your ETA in Taiwan should be in March.
Nick
Amelia La Palma (AML-54 hull 019)

On 18 Jan 2019, at 00:47, sv.estran@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello,

We left France on Sept 1st and we're now in Panama.

I have two question for you - thank you in advance for your help :

1/ COOKING GAS.

The boat (Amel 54) was bought in France. We always used the blue 2.75kg bottles (i.e BUTANE).

Here in Panama they don't sell BUTANE but Tropigas or Panagas, which is a variable mixture of propane and butane.

Has anyone used one of these mixtures? Does it affects the burners (or anything else)? Do you advise Tropigas or Panagas?

By extension I am also wondering if I could use PROPANE gas or do I have to adapt anything beforehand?

2/ ITINARY

We're currently in Panama and in one year's time I would like to be in TAIWAN.

Has anyone sailed there yet?

What itinary would you advise (starting from Panama)?

I'm sailing with kids so I'm very reluctant to sail in notorious 'dangerous' areas. I prefer to make a detour than to take the risk of meeting with pirates.

My preference is of course to passe via French Polynesia, but thereafter??

Thank you dear AMEL fellows for your help!

Oscar

SV ESTRAN - A54 hull n°4