Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Digest Number 6024

Jacob Champness

Can anyone recommend a book or resource on sail trim on a ketch that they’ve found useful?  Our ‘79 Maramu #42 predates all those fancy articulating whisker poles and electric furlers, so nothing too Amel-specific.

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 7:01 AM <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

4 Messages

Digest #6024
1b
2a
Re: Batteries by alan_leslie_sv_elyse

Messages

1a

Re: Possible late Spring Amel Caribbean Rally

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:13 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Mark Pitt" markmpitt

Bill,

I am interested.

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, SM #419, Martinique

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 8:33 PM, Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
>

> Update
>
> I have received some level of interest from 15 owners. I was hoping for more interest in a Caribbean Rally. Is there anyone else? I am not aking for a commitment, just Interest. Here is the list that I have so far:
> Arno Luijten SV Luna A54-121
> Miles Bidwell Ladybug SM 216
> Kent & Iris Robertson Kristy SM 243
> John Clark Annie SM 37
> Pat & Diane SM Shenanigans SM 123
> Alex Paquin SIMPATICO Maramu #94
> Colin Streeter Island Pearl SM 332
> Donald Patterson ?Mango?
> Kim and Chuck Joy SM 388
> Paul and Kerstin Kerpa SM 259
> Gary Wells Adagio SM 209
> Duane & Peg Wanderer, SM 477
> Derick Gates Brava SM 400
>
> Best,
>
> CW Bill Rouse
> Admiral, Texas Navy
> Commander Emeritus
> Amel School http://www.amelschool.com
> 720 Winnie St
> Galveston Island, TX 77550
> +1(832) 380-4970
> My Calendar
>

>> On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 5:56 PM derickgates@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
>> I am on Brava in Le Marin, Martinique getting some maintenance done. By mid March I expect to start traveling North to Antigua, and by late April set off for the Azores and then Gibraltar. The rally sounds like a great idea.
>>
>> Derick Gates
>> SM2K #400 Brava

1b

Re: Possible late Spring Amel Caribbean Rally

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:33 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Kimberlite" kimberlite1212

Hi Bill.

You forgot me.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Admiral, Texas Navy <https://theamelschool.blogspot.com/p/texas-navy.html>
Commander Emeritus
<http://www.amelschool.com/> Amel School <http://www.amelschool.com/> http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

<https://theamelschool.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html> My Calendar

<https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1iOjHIrA_JpHr-Y2umO5HOZpquKHqsc-M&export=download>

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 5:56 PM derickgates@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I am on Brava in Le Marin, Martinique getting some maintenance done. By mid March I expect to start traveling North to Antigua, and by late April set off for the Azores and then Gibraltar. The rally sounds like a great idea.

Derick Gates
SM2K #400 Brava

1c

Re: Possible late Spring Amel Caribbean Rally

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:38 am (PST) . Posted by:

isaac_02906

Hi Bill,

Please add Mark, Karen, Miles and Lucy on Lulu SM 391.

Mark Isaac
Lulu, SM 391
PDR, Fajardo, Puerto Rico

2a

Re: Batteries

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:06 am (PST) . Posted by:

alan_leslie_sv_elyse

Hi Kent

The first voltages you mentioned .... 28v abs, 26.4v float, 29.4v equalize.
sound pretty much the norm to me for standard flooded deep cycle batteries
29v Abs, 27v float, and 31v equalize

seems a bit extreme ....that's more than what most AGM manufacturers recommend for batteries that have a higher acceptance rate than yours.

Are you sure your battery monitor is reading / setup correctly for these batteries? As Mark said..Peukert constant set correctly?

My understanding is that lead acid batteries only need to be "equalised&quot; in the case of sulphation caused by repeated deep discharges followed by incomplete charging.

It sounds like you are charging your batteries fully and limiting discharge, you shouldn't have a problem....maybe it's the meter that has the problem..?

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
Opua, New Zealand...for now