Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Any Amel owners who have sailed to Chile from Panama?

Hi Danny,

 We were there in the pre-blog era. I am in the process of writing up  the 7 years we spent sailing around South America but I am heavily engaged in a bio tech start up which all came about when I was using what was then the only cruising guide to Chile written by Ian and Maggy Staples in the late 90's . It became the RCC guide to Chilean waters. By 2003 they had sold their boat and bought the most beautiful farm in the Chilean lake district. Arising out of the production of honey on his farm Ian discovered a technology now  known as Reactive Oxygen. One thing led to another and  to www.matokeholdings.com which is severely curtailing my sailing--but we are going to save the world!

 One of the great benefits of the sailing world is not only that it takes you to fascinating places but you also meet fascinating people who you might never meet at your golf club. They change your life.

 Good though Ian and Maggy's guide is, the one book you should read is the Patagonia & Tierra del Fuego Nautical guide by Mariolina Rolfo and Giorgio Adrizzi. They bought, second hand, the very first Amel Sharki ( 16 coats of varnish!) and ended up spending 16 years in Chile, mainly in the Beagle.  It is the most comprehensive book on sailing conditions, anchorages, wild life, history etc etc. We became good friends and even contributed in a tiny way to their second edition.  I defy any Amel owner  to read that book and not  want to sail there. Even if you don't sail there it makes fascinating reading. We anchored in more than 70 remote  anchorages otherwise unknown to us relying entirely on their guide.

 Also read Hal Roth's  excellent book Two against the Horn. I first read it about 35 years ago and it contains a sentence to the effect that the most challenging place to take a yacht is the Chilean canales. That one sentence stood as a challenge to me during all the years when I was working until Judy said to me " if you don't do something about your dream you're going to be a wannabe Chile man ".  That was it--how can a man deny his wife?

 Very few boats go down to the south and most that do are passage making east to west and tend to hurry through. If you do go down there be ready to spend at least 2 seasons exploring what is one of the most remarkable places to sail.

Fair winds--you will need them in that part of the world .

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece