Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: The Mechanics of Battery Equalization

karkauai

I guess it's for liability reasons that many chargers don't have equalization modes, and that the ones that do have equalization mode are so anxious about it.  It's a given that most boats will discharge significantly at night with our redundant refrigerators, and we rarely will charge back up to 100% of capacity because of the inefficiencies of running the generator to get that last few percent of capacity into the batteries.  Hence the need for regularly scheduled equalization.  It's really important to get the battery manufacturer's recommendations for abs, float, and equalization voltages.  If you're charging at less that the recommended voltages, you will have to equalize more often.  My new batteries (130 AHr Crown Marine deep cycle) require 29v Abs, and 31V equalization for 3 hours.  That information was hard to find...not on line, and the engineer I spoke to at Crown had to call me back because he couldn't find it easily.

I've added solar recently (now up to 900 Watts) and when it's sunny, the batteries get pretty close to 100%, but not all the way.  On cloudy days I have to run the generator for an hour or so every morning. 

Danny, Other than the 24-12VDC "permanent" converter, Kristy has a 24-110AC inverter that is not on the battery switch.  The solar panels/controllers are also connected on the battery side of the switches with the chargers.  I was told by the guys who installed my solar/controllers that equalization voltages wouldn't damage them.

Kent & Iris
SM 243
Kristy

To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2019 12:22 PM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: The Mechanics of Battery Equalization

Hi Gary,

We have Mastervolt chargers and they do have have an equalization mode.  By the discussion in the manual you can dicern that the equalization mode is not intended to be used very often.  Below is an excerpt from from the manual: 

"An equalizing charge can be necessary after very deep
discharges and/or inadequate charges. This has to be
carried out according to the specifications of the
manufacturer of the batteries.
During equalizing the batteries are brought into the gas
state and is it possible that the permitted load voltages are
exceeded. Therefore appropriate measures must be
taken, e.g. disconnect all loads from the battery and
ventilate the room. For these reasons use of the equalizing
mode should only be executed by trained technical
engineers.
The equalizing mode can only be started when the
Chargemaster is in operation and in Float. This means that
the connection compartment of the Chargemaster must be
opened while connected to the mains and the batteries.
Take adequate measures for protection against short
circuits and electrical shocks.
To start the equalize mode: move DIP switch 4 to the ON
position and back to the OFF position."

Mark Mueller
Brass Ring A54

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.