Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Any Amel owners who have sailed to Chile from Panama?

karkauai

I’d like to hear more, too, Ian.  We’re headed that way and thought we might leave Kristy in Ecuador and do some land travel before heading West.

Kent & Iris
SM 243
Kristy

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Jan 28, 2019, at 1:24 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Ian and Judy,

I would love to read about all your experiences. Do you have some blogs you can share directly with me, guess we shouldn't load the forum. Or write a book.(seriously)  Its an area I have never thought of as a cruisers option and I am fascinated.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 29 January 2019 at 02:10 "Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi James,

We sailed from Panama to Chile in 2002/3 and then spent two seasons in Chile, mainly in and around the Beagle Channel.  Can't say enough about it. The best sailing experiences in 40 years of sailing and a Supermaramu is the perfect boat for those conditions.

The standard passage is to leave Panama and head  southwest in a wide arc and come back east around about Chiloe. However, friends of ours encouraged us to take the coastal route, against the prevailing wind and Humboldt current. Neither is a problem until you get to about 40s and even then you just pick your weather. We made about 90 miles good each day and were the only yacht to make the whole passage that year. Panama to Salinas in Ecuador we largely made under engine. It's doldrums country, flat calm for 6 days. We put Pen Azen ashore in Ecuador for 5 months while we backpacked around the country. Then to Peru where we anchored off Callao for a month and then we coast hopped . Very few ports, but every now and then you come across a little north facing bay where the Clube de Yates ( whose members  generally only have little motor boats) will give you a wonderful welcome.

 I could write reams about our experiences. Easier to chat if you have lots of questions. Email me on penazen@... if you would like to do so and we can fix a time. We are in London so GMT at the moment.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece