Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] The Mechanics of Battery Equalization

karkauai

Oops, I answered the wrong Guru.  Seems like both of you are waaay ahead of me when it comes to fixing your boats.  My last post was more for general info for folks who are new to cruising, batteries, sulfation, etc...like I was a few years ago and still feel like I am too often.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Jan 28, 2019, at 9:18 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

thanks but your reply should have been addressed to Gary.

Cheers

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 29 January 2019 at 14:35 "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,
I have a Victron Skylla-i 24v/80A charger for the last 3 years.  So far very happy with it.  It has equalization cycles that can be automatic, or only manual. I chose the manual because I want to know when the voltages are over 30 as recommended by my battery company.  There are several preset modes depending on your battery type, and an adjustable setting where you can set your Abs and Float voltages.  On that setting, the equalization voltage is Abs Voltage plus 3.6V, limited by Amperage to 25% of 80 Amp max with my charger (or how ever you set the max), or 4 hours.  So if Amperage reaches 20A during equaliation, the voltage will drop to the point that gives 20A charging.

Hope that helps,
Kent & Iris
SM 243
Kristy
Still in Ft Lauderdale waiting for faucet parts...Ugh.