Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Painting boat S of Hurricane belt

Kent,

I do not recommend it and I used it, but here it is:
Ferroalquimar
Albornoz, Km 3 Via Mamonal , Cartagena, Colombia
Tel:+57 3205653293
http://www.ferroalquimar.com/, jcouso@... and the person I dealt with directly was Ms. Pura Rey <purarey@...> I am not sure she is still there.

All of the yard workers that worked there at the time I hauled were not yard employees and were unsupervised. I hired a trusted Spanish speaking guy who stayed on my boat 24/7 and supervised the work. I was present during daylight hours. I used a pilot from the yard and high tide to get into the haulout slip without running aground.

They have a 40-ton travel lift that will bend your life-rail unless you do something to mitigate this.

Best,

Bill Rouse
Amel School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 10:31 AM Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Bill.  I’ve left the boat at Peakes for a Summer several years ago.  They were well organized, but expensive, I thought.

I’ve heard you can get good work done for less money in Columbia.  Know anything about that?  Eric?

Thanks again.
Kent & Iris
SM243
Kristy

Bill Rouse wrote:
Kent & Iris,

I believe Trinidad is the best place for this in the southern Caribbean. Here are some suggestions:

Peaks yard in Chaguaramas, Trinidad. http://peakeyachts.com/
+1 (868) 634-4420 & +1 (868) 634-4423
Email: mail"at"peakeyachts.com
Address: Lot #5 Western Main Road Chaguaramas

Also, an independent guy: Nigel 1-868-282-2024 cell. I have used Nigel several times...all good. He may not be allowed in Peaks as they have their own contract people. Nigel used to have a shop at Coral Cove Marina and Yard Chaguaramas, Trinidad

Also, if you need just a worker for cleaning, polish, etc: Dwayne Shuffler 1-868-286-4947 cell dwayneshuffler@... I used Dwayne for cleaning, polishing, and trained him on how to paint the faux caulking on Amels. He is the one that painted our deck faux caulking cream color using a striping tool. Also, I had the paint mixed at the paint shop at Coral Cove Marina.

While you are there be sure to meet Jesse James (jessejamesmembersonly@... and 1-868-683-5202). Jesse is the station host for SSCA and OCC, he operates a taxi and tour service, he runs an association of local businesses which are in the marine business (YSATT). Peaks, Coral Cove and almost every business in Chaguaramas is a member of YSATT.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Bill Rouse
Amel School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Kent wrote:

Hi All,
We need to have Kristy’s decks and cabin sides worked on. When I pulled the stainless steel trim around the windows off to remove the interior panels off for revarnishing, I found significant blistering of the gel coat under the trim.

We’ll be taking her S to Trinidad, Columbia, or Panama by this Spring and want to find a place to have a professional job done at a reasonable price.

Does anyone have experience in one of these venues? Is the work such that you would leave the boat with them for a few weeks while it’s being done, or would you want to be there the whole time?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Kent & Iris
SM 243
Kristy