Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Painting boat S of Hurricane belt

Stephen Davis

Hi Kent,

We had the decks and hull painted on Aloha while in Trinidad in 2016. We hauled at Powerboats, used a contractor located in there yard, and have been very pleased with the result. We wanted to preserve the Amel faux teak look on deck, and the contractor worked with us to develop a technique to do this with what I consider to be a better than original look, and a bit cooler to walk on. Bill R. Has seen Aloha after the paint was done, and maybe he can offer an opinion on the end result. Not to worry Bill, you can’t hurt my feelings:)

I agree with Bill that you should avoid doing the work in Columbia. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and Trinidad has some very skilled workers that are much easier to communicate with. The days of truly cheap work are gone, but it will still be dramatically less money than you will pay in the USA for the same work.

We had 6 weeks to get the painting done, and the contractor had 5 guys on the boat 6 or 7 days a week, and finished a week early. My experience with Powerboats was excellent, and had no complaints. As a matter of fact, it was the best service I’ve ever had in any yard. I stayed on the boat while the work was being done, and .the yard put a house AC unit on my main hatch which cost us about $4 a day. Best money I ever spent, and it kept us very comfy. I was happy I stayed on the boat, as I caught a couple of potential mistakes, and solved some problems that only the owner could. FYI...Liz went back to the USA after a week and a half, and can’t say that I blame her.

I’m not on the boat at the moment, but can send you detailed contact info within a couple of days. In the meantime, the contractors name is Allen Dowden, and if you contact the office at Power Boats, they will put you in touch with him. He has been in the fiberglass and painting business there for over 30 years, and knows his stuff. I’m hoping he has not retired, as he was contemplating that when we were there. Say hi for me if you talk to him. If you would like any more info or pictures send me a personal email, or call me on my cell.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Ko Olina, Hawaii

On Feb 1, 2019, at 6:47 AM, Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

I do not recommend it and I used it, but here it is:
Ferroalquimar
Albornoz, Km 3 Via Mamonal , Cartagena, Colombia
Tel:+57 3205653293
http://www.ferroalquimar.com/, jcouso@... and the person I dealt with directly was Ms. Pura Rey <purarey@...> I am not sure she is still there.

All of the yard workers that worked there at the time I hauled were not yard employees and were unsupervised. I hired a trusted Spanish speaking guy who stayed on my boat 24/7 and supervised the work. I was present during daylight hours. I used a pilot from the yard and high tide to get into the haulout slip without running aground.

They have a 40-ton travel lift that will bend your life-rail unless you do something to mitigate this.

Best,

Bill Rouse
Amel School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 10:31 AM Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Bill.  I’ve left the boat at Peakes for a Summer several years ago.  They were well organized, but expensive, I thought.

I’ve heard you can get good work done for less money in Columbia.  Know anything about that?  Eric?

Thanks again.
Kent & Iris
SM243
Kristy

Bill Rouse wrote:
Kent & Iris,

I believe Trinidad is the best place for this in the southern Caribbean. Here are some suggestions:

Peaks yard in Chaguaramas, Trinidad. http://peakeyachts.com/
+1 (868) 634-4420 & +1 (868) 634-4423
Email: mail"at"peakeyachts.com
Address: Lot #5 Western Main Road Chaguaramas

Also, an independent guy: Nigel 1-868-282-2024 cell. I have used Nigel several times...all good. He may not be allowed in Peaks as they have their own contract people. Nigel used to have a shop at Coral Cove Marina and Yard Chaguaramas, Trinidad

Also, if you need just a worker for cleaning, polish, etc: Dwayne Shuffler 1-868-286-4947 cell dwayneshuffler@yahoo..com I used Dwayne for cleaning, polishing, and trained him on how to paint the faux caulking on Amels. He is the one that painted our deck faux caulking cream color using a striping tool. Also, I had the paint mixed at the paint shop at Coral Cove Marina.

While you are there be sure to meet Jesse James (jessejamesmembersonly@... and 1-868-683-5202). Jesse is the station host for SSCA and OCC, he operates a taxi and tour service, he runs an association of local businesses which are in the marine business (YSATT). Peaks, Coral Cove and almost every business in Chaguaramas is a member of YSATT.

I hope this helps..

Best,

Bill Rouse
Amel School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Kent wrote:

Hi All,
We need to have Kristy’s decks and cabin sides worked on. When I pulled the stainless steel trim around the windows off to remove the interior panels off for revarnishing, I found significant blistering of the gel coat under the trim.

We’ll be taking her S to Trinidad, Columbia, or Panama by this Spring and want to find a place to have a professional job done at a reasonable price.

Does anyone have experience in one of these venues? Is the work such that you would leave the boat with them for a few weeks while it’s being done, or would you want to be there the whole time?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Kent & Iris
SM 243
Kristy