Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] performance differences

Teun BAAS

“I'm assuming the sailing performance between these three hulls is small enough that it's likely to boil down to how new a boat I'm willing to pay for”

In that case there used to be a privately owned A54 in the USVI for charter (with the owner [dental surgeon] on board).

I had purchased an A54 on the other side of the world with 5 conditions. Since I had never seen/been on board, so not sailed, an A54 one of the conditions was that I would charter an A54 in the USVI and let my seller know if I liked the way she sailed.

So I chartered the USVI A54 for 3 weeks in November 2017; specifically asked the owner/skipper not to do any maintenance before my arrival (he had quite some maintenance to perform due to the 2 hurricanes in 2017) as I wanted to be there, learn & do myself. This was definitely not one of his usual cruises/charters but (although very expensive) very, very beneficial for me. BTW – within days I knew I wanted an A54; didn’t need the full 3 weeks to figure that out.

Best Regards Teun

Feb 05, 2019   10:26:15