Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] performance differences

Ken Grove

Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed description. The flavor of your information more or less matches  the relative degree of differences I was expecting between the three models, but with much more detail about exactly how (and why) they differ.

Can you elaborate a little more on the pole differences between the 53 and 54, especially as it relates to short handed sailing? The majority of the time it would be just my wife and I, and I'd be even more comfortable if it could be safely sailed by even just my wife should I get sick or injured. How much heavier and more cumbersome are the bigger 54 poles to handle? Are they still manageable enough that a typical female could handle them? I assume it would be highly advised to make sure they are the lighter carbon fiber variety.

You mentioned the extra difficulty on the 55 around docks due to the higher freeboard. Any other material differences you would note between the three models as it relates to easy / safe short handed sailing?