Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] performance differences

ngtnewington Newington

RE POLES ON THE 54
I have a 54 with twin aluminium poles. I can manage them alone but they are big and quite heavy. One trick I have found is that when at sea and likely to be using them, but not actually using them. I  leave them clicked into their mounts at the base of the mast and lying horizontally lashed to the teak bow seat. They are then ready to hoist. They are secure do not get in the way. When it comes to sailing downwind, I am no fan of reaching up unless in light airs. In my opinion poles are essential.
Nick s/y Amelia 019 54

On 8 Feb 2019, at 17:57, grove.ken@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed description. The flavor of your information more or less matches  the relative degree of differences I was expecting between the three models, but with much more detail about exactly how (and why) they differ.

Can you elaborate a little more on the pole differences between the 53 and 54, especially as it relates to short handed sailing? The majority of the time it would be just my wife and I, and I'd be even more comfortable if it could be safely sailed by even just my wife should I get sick or injured. How much heavier and more cumbersome are the bigger 54 poles to handle? Are they still manageable enough that a typical female could handle them? I assume it would be highly advised to make sure they are the lighter carbon fiber variety.

You mentioned the extra difficulty on the 55 around docks due to the higher freeboard. Any other material differences you would note between the three models as it relates to easy / safe short handed sailing?