Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Hair in macerate pump

Kent,

Maybe you should read what we gave those people visiting our boat. It is posted on BeBe's blog at https://svbebe.blogspot.com/p/visitors-to-bebe.html

The important part is:
  • NOTHING GOES IN THE TOILETS BUT WHAT COMES OUT OF YOUR BODY and the appropriate toilet paper. – no feminine products, gum – not even a matchstick. And, most importantly, NO HAIR.......not one single strand!!! Our toilets are equipped with a macerator (kind of like a tiny blender blade) that is activated every time the 'flush' button is depressed. The macerator cuts all waste matter and paper into tiny bits before it is dumped into the holding tank. It is very important to depress the 'flush' button for a minimum of 12 seconds. Our toilet system flushes with sea water. Urine and salt water combine to form rock-hard 'crystals' that will block the discharge hoses; so it is very important to flush long enough to evacuate all urine from the discharge hoses and into the holding tank. Strands of hair wrap around the macerator blades and stop the flushing action. This is a very nasty job to clean and will break the macerator. Bill will not be very happy with you if he has to take apart the sewer line to clean up your mistake.
You may not have the optimum length screwdriver. I had one that fit perfectly and used it to do this job at least 6 or 7 times. You can buy a screwdriver with a flexible shaft. That would probably be the easiest way to do it.

Best,

Bill Rouse
Amel School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:12 AM karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all,
I had to replace a macerator pump. It had long hair wrapped around the shaft. We were wondering if anybody has used liquid plumber periodically in their toilets to dissolve hair?

I am concerned that it might not be good for the seals and/other head parts..

I haven’t been doing any maintenance on the heads, just flush with fresh water and treat with SewClean once a year. The pumps last about two years and I’ve been replacing them when they go bad.. Do you pull the pumps off regularly for cleaning, replacing seals, other? If so, what do you do and kind of life do they have? I find it very difficult to remove the pumps without removing the bowl, no place to get a screwdriver on the bottom two bolts. Any tricks?

Thanks,
Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM 243