Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Hair in macerate pump

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Kent and Iris,

I am afraid that the dreaded job of regularly de-hairing the macerator pump is on my list of preventative to do’s. It is not too bad if one pumps through plenty of clean water before! Caustic soda will dissolve hair and many other things but it is dangerous stuff. I use it in the main bilge about once a month as it is a great de-greaser, but for the head macerators I find it pretty quick and easy to take them off manually, clean and put them back with a small amount of silicon grease on the rubber seal. It really is a five to ten minute job.

Nick
S/Y Amelia

On 10 Feb 2019, at 17:12, karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all,
I had to replace a macerator pump. It had long hair wrapped around the shaft. We were wondering if anybody has used liquid plumber periodically in their toilets to dissolve hair?

I am concerned that it might not be good for the seals and/other head parts..

I haven’t been doing any maintenance on the heads, just flush with fresh water and treat with SewClean once a year. The pumps last about two years and I’ve been replacing them when they go bad.. Do you pull the pumps off regularly for cleaning, replacing seals, other? If so, what do you do and kind of life do they have? I find it very difficult to remove the pumps without removing the bowl, no place to get a screwdriver on the bottom two bolts. Any tricks?

Thanks,
Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM 243