Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: AGM battery equalisation

Paul,

I believe that the 12.3 battery has failed. The 12.5 batteries are nearing the same point, with probably less than 1 year.

I would disconnect the pair that has the 12.3 and move things so that one of the 12.5 batteries is also disconnected. In other words, 1 pair of the worst batteries are disconnected from the bank. Then I would start looking for the best place to buy and replace all of the batteries. I am going to guess that you should do this within about 6-8 months.

I am sure that you will find some owner that gets longer than 4 years life, but I will assure you he is not discharging his batteries at anchor as you are. I met a guy in Turkey who according to him got 12 years life from his batteries. Within 5 minutes of leaving the marina, they failed.😀

Best,

Bill Rouse
Amel School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 10:32 AM sharongbrown@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

First, many thanks for all your advice, it is much appreciated. I have 6 pairs for my 24v system. The pairs and voltages, after being fully charged (i.e. drawing 1A) and left disconnected for 12 hours, are as follows:

12.7 12.6 12.5 12.5 12.6 12.6 12.5 12.6 12.5 12.6 12.7 12.3

(I did that in two separate lots of 6 each so as to maintain power to the boat)

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean balancing out the voltages. What do you think I should do with the one at 12.3v? Get rid of it, or pair it up with something else?

Understood about 3-4 year expected life although I was hoping it may be a bit longer!

Cheers,
Paul