Following the nice offer from Paul Hrabowsky (Bamar USA) I received the new EJF1 furlers a while ago and after some preparations I had the local rigger on Saint Martin replace the old ones with the EJF1 model. This took a little over a day with not too many problems. The fit was excellent after returning to my marina I could proceed with the electrical part of the job.
That proved to be a bit more complicated as the new furlers have a bit more connections to them. The MEJ furlers only have a motor with a plus and minus cable. The EJF1 has a electric brake and a thermal sensor added to the party.
I also ordered new Boxtron E14 boxes as the existing ones were not working anymore and the old MEJ furlers were connected to the Boxtron EM boxes.
The Amel yard connected the Boxtron boxes a bit differently then intended by Bamar. The remote switch has three cables but only 2 are led to the furler. The third (power) cable is fed directly from the circuit-breaker panel in the galley. This gave me some problems hooking up the thermal sensor.
Long story short it meant I added an intermediate connection box with a relay to enable the thermal sensor.
Added benefit is I now have a local (to the furler) switch to operate the furlers.
I also had to adapt both the E14 and the EM boxes to be able to use the connection boxes. For the E14 the change was minor. I had to add a "Vbat -" (minus) wire to the multi-connector . As this still had one pin free that was easy.
The EM box was a bit more work as the box was not designed to work together with the polarized brake power cabe (the brake on the EJF1 has a "plus"and a "minus") so I had to do some rewiring and add some diodes in the EM-box.
Altough the old furlers were still working fine, I must say the new one feel much more sturdy and make much less noise. In a later post I will put the old furlers up for offer in case someone is interested.
A picture of the connection boxes:
Schematic design added as attachment