Rudder Stuffing Box

Thomas Kleman

Was down to my last quarter turn on the plastic nut so decided to repack the stuffing box while on the hard. Quadrant was seized and needed 6 hours and a custom made puller tool to get it off. Then pulled out the stuffing and repacked it. Tapped it down and all seemed good...except nut now encounters stuffing too high in box to grab......stuffing is mashed down so I guess top part of box is stripped. Its not the nut (I have three and tried all of them). For now I have two rings of stuffing in and ironically Im back to one quarter turn left on the nut......and a day of my life gone. Ideas ?