Re: Rudder Stuffing Box

James Alton

Thomas,

  IMO the plastic threads on the packing nut are not really strong enough to compress all of the packing until you have a few threads engaged.  You might try pressing your new packing into the groove using some other creative means. Just don’t damage the packing or the threads.  It can help to compress one ring at a time getting the first two rings fully bottomed before adding the third, the packing nut should work to compress the first two rings.  Then when you install the plastic packing nut but sure that it is not cross threaded and give it a little gentle help compressing the packing by installing some wedges between the quadrant and the nut. Be sure that the threads on the packing nut have not be damaged from your first attempt.

Best of luck,

James
SV Sueno

On Feb 17, 2019, at 4:32 PM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Yes- I removed all three rings.....probably original to the boat. When I put three of the Amel supplied rings in, the nut won't grab the stuffing box. I'm going back in the water soon so we will see if it leaks.