Re: Rudder Stuffing Box

eric freedman

Hi Thomas,

I install the packing with a axel grease on the rudder post and the perimeter of the inside of the stuffing box.

I drive the stuffing down with a large diameter piece if PVC pipe and a small sledge hammer until the packing bottoms out.

Over the years I have had the top few threads of the stuffing box strip.

This fall I had a 10 mm thick round piece of fiberglass made  with the inside formed around the nut, thus threaded.

Its outside diameter is about the same as the stuffing box.

It was fixed in place with epoxy and screws. I now have a stuffing box with 5 pieces of packing.

Having 5 pieces of packing also allows 4 pieces to be changed in the water.

If you have a big shop vac you can also change all the packing while in the water with some weight moved to the bow.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Germain Jean-Pierre
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2019 4:53 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Rudder Stuffing Box

Hi Thomas,

As an opinion, I would not relaunch before getting a solution.  So it works on launch... how about in 2 years??

Good luck

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019, 10:32 Thomas Kleman, <lorient422@...> wrote:

Yes- I removed all three rings.....probably original to the boat. When I put three of the Amel supplied rings in, the nut won't grab the stuffing box. I'm going back in the water soon so we will see if it leaks.

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.