Re: Dessalator Pump Oil

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

Ian,

Hello from the other side of the anchorage :)

Harmonie came to us complete with a jug of oil that was labeled with the CatPump brand, as "high pressure pump oil." Since that is now gone, I have been using regular SAE40 oil.  The logic is that the engine room on a SM is a pretty hot environment, so the slightly flatter viscosity curve of 30W40 really isn't needed.  I don't think this is a particularly severe or difficult lubrication application.

I have a scheduled change interval of once a year on that oil.  Puts me well under the manufacturer's hourly recommendation, and makes it easy to schedule.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Georgetown, Bahamas