Re: Volvo D2-75 Repower

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Thanks, Eric.

We had about 6,500 hours on the first engine. Should have been good for more....but a French Volvo agent breathed on it. Long, expensive saga.

Ian

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of eric freedman <kimberlite@...>
Sent: 21 February 2019 11:37
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Volvo D2-75 Repower

Hi Ian,

The 12 V alternator should also be an isolated unit 

I believe the 24 Volt alternator should  also be isolated as the whole purpose of the isolation is to prevent the house battery bank from being connected to the bonding. Recall the discussions of the 24 volt macerator toilet pumps becoming connected to the bonding due to water intrusion.

However I am also not on board and cannot give a definitive answer about that unit.

How many hours did you have on your previous engine?

With respect to the autoprop zinc, paint the heads of the screws with nail polish. This will prevent he screw heads from dissolving.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of ianjudyjenkins@...
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2019 5:45 AM

Hi Bill, Eric, ( and anyone else who has fitted a D2-75 )

Thanks . My guy will be working on this shortly--Pen Azen is ashore at present and I'm in London.

I want to make sure that I cover every point. In addition to the senders and the starter motor should the 12v alternator also be isolated ? ( but presumably not the 24v alternator?) 

Any other points to consider ?

Ian

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of eric freedman <kimberlite@...>
Sent: 21 February 2019 00:53

Hi Ian,

Do the senders on your new engine have 2 wires on them? Temp sender, oil pressure sender, etc. ?

Is one side of the starter motor attached to the block?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of ianjudyjenkins@...
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:21 AM

Hi Paul,

We have about 30 hours on our D2-75. Its a good fit. The guy who installed it originally worked with the Brit who designed the TMD22 so he knows both engines well. The TMD was designed for road use and then marinised whereas the D2-75 was designed as a marine engine. Neater and more accessible. No lack of power compared to the TMD22. It is marginally noisier as it is not belt driven. Wonderfully clean exhaust. I expect fuel consumption to be the same.

The secret switch used to interrupt the power to the switch board but now interrupts the power to the starter. Volvo insist  that this engine does  not need galvanic isolation  but I like the belt and braces approach of the original so will resolve that--pending that, I have fitted the Autoprop with the  zinc cap that Autoprop supply.

Early days, but we are very pleased.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Greece

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Paul Cooper via Groups.Io <paul.cooper74@...>
Sent: 19 February 2019 02:01
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Volvo D2-75 Repower

Any SMs with a Volvo D2-75 repower care to comment on their experience?  Good?  Problems? Power adequate?  How did you handle the galvanic isolation issue?

Thanks,

Paul C.
SM238 "Maracuya"
Martinique

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.