From: John and Anne on Bali Hai <annejohn@melita.net.mt>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 12:03 pm
Subject: [Amel] Re: Insurance and heaving to

Hi Bill,

Put insurance in the Group search box for previous postings especially

mine No 3007. We use Pantaenius but have never claimed so cannot

confirm that they are as good as they say they are. They are not

worried about short handed sailing but were not prepared to insure US

registered boats a few years ago but may have changed that policy.

We concur with the posting on heaving to having done it in 50-60 knots

in the Bay of Biscay but we did drift backwards. It is a risky

business if near land as the boat can be moved by wind and current.

Whilst we were in the South Pacific two yachts were lost, one in Fiji

when it dragged anchor and another on South Minerva Reef when the crew

either hove to or did not watch their drift while waiting for

daylight. I assume that they did not leave enough sea room and perhaps

relied on the inaccurate charts. The owner of the one that went

aground in Fiji stripped a lot of gear off it and was going to have a

sale to reduce insurers liability but the Fijian Customs officials

told him that he would have to pay duty based on new costs before

selling so he called off the sale.

We shall be in Aukland/Opua from 12-19 January but it looks as if you

will be back in the States then?

Best wishes, Anne and John SM319

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "svbebe" <yahoogroups@...>

wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with Allianz Yachting and Boating
(UK) Insurance?
Best,
Bill Rouse
s/v BeBe - SM2 #387
Gulf Harbour Marina for Cyclone Season in the South Pacific
Auckland, New Zealand