Re: Engine Repower for Super Maramu

Dan Wilcox

engine was $22k, labor was $24k, throw in some engine mounts additional parts and throw a 10% sales tax on it all.  Boat has circumnavigated at least 2 times and gone through 2 hr meters with at least 17,000 hours showing.

When i bought the boat i could do 3,200 rpms, but now can only do 2,400.  Curently it is blowing plenty of black smoke.  i purhcased a new turbo and plan to install it this weekend.  the old one appeared to be failing.  I'm hoping that and maybe an injector cleaning is all I will need for now.

Thanks, Dan
Feierabend #86

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 7:38 AM, Craig Briggs via Groups.Io
<sangaris@...> wrote:
Hi Dan,
As Kent noted, $55K is a breathtaking number, indeed - how much of that is installation labor?  I would have guessed the engine and transmission would be about $20K.
Reading back on your posts I only see that you said your Perkins was "tired" which begs the question of exactly why you think you need to repower? How many hours are on your Perkins and just how is she "tired" - smoking, burning too much oil, not as much power as before? How's the cylinder compression? How about just rebuilding her or trading out for an already rebuilt engine. You could do it yourself for about $3000 or have it done for maybe $10K-ish.
Craig, SN68 Sangaris