Re: Engine Repower for Super Maramu

Stephen Davis

Hi Dan,

We repowered Aloha (hull 72) at a yard in St Augustine, FL in August 2015 with a Yanmar 4JH-80CR. The engine itself was a little over $16,000, and installation was about $4000. Frequently, the install can be as much as the engine, but that should not be the case on an SM due to ease of access. I’m not sure who is quoting you 55k for this job, but I would look elsewhere. Also, if you are considering going with more horsepower, I’d stick with the 80hp, as we have found it to be economical and plenty of power in all our cruising.

At this point, we have 680 hours on the engine, and it has performed flawlessly. We consider it to be one of the best investments we have made in our boat. The engine came with Yanmar mounts, which we installed, but their was no mention from the Yanmar rep who inspected the install that we were required to use them. We ended up changing the mounts back to new original mounts in Martinique a little less than 2 years later. The French Yanmar/Amel mechanic inspected our alignment and found it good, but determined the Yanmar mounts were a bit to soft, and caused premature wear in the rubber bushings inside the Vetus coupling. Moral of the story is that I would not use the Yanmar mounts. We have had no problem with wear of the bushings since switching the mounts.

Feel free to contact me if I can help with any other info.

Regards,

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Currently anchored at Lahaina, Maui

On Feb 24, 2019, at 7:19 PM, Dan Wilcox via Groups.Io <dwilcox123@...> wrote:

Thanks.  I have another local boat here that is a 1991 SM that got one put in, and has been running for 6 years without any problems to the C-drive.  I'm pushing out my decision to re-power for another year after having a little sticker shock on the price.  I was expecting it to be expensive, but at $55,000 I'm sitting back down... Right now we only use the boat a couple months a year cruising here in the Pacific NorthWest.

Thanks, Dan Wilcox
Feierabend #86

On Sunday, February 24, 2019, 7:33:17 PM PST, Will Stout via Groups.Io <tango708@...> wrote:

Dan,
I have the Yanmar 110 hp 4JH4-HTE in Anni Bea True and she has performed really well.  I have about 1200 hours on the engine presently.  I did change the engine mounts to the HY150, which are the same mounts that the C-Drive uses.  I would recommend that you talk with Steve Davis on Aloha.  He re-powered with a newer version of the 4JH4-HTE that has more electronic control modules.  The engine is exceptionally smooth running.

Warm Regards,
Will Stout
/)/) Anni Bea True
SM # 180