Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Painting deck stripes - how much paint is needed??

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi Gary,

I did my deck stripes in white: makes deck somewhat cooler underfoot, reduces heat down below too.

However, mine being an old girl, I’ll grind down the entire deck to make it level with the bottom of the stripes, then an epoxy coat in white with an anti slip on the top.  Just as Steve Davis did on Aloha.  It is gorgeous.

(Disclaimer:  I’ll pay a yard in Malaysia to do the work)

:-)

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM007

On 28 Feb 2019, at 05:12, Gary Silver via Groups.Io <garysilver@...> wrote:

Hi Bill and all:

I am preparing to re-paint my deck stripes "AGAIN".  This will be my third time (have owned the boat since new in 2001).  I previously used Brightside Perfection paint and it just does not hold up to Caribbean sun.  About 4-5 years before it oxidizes and starts to look shabby.  I am considering using Awlgrip this go round but it will be much more work and I am investigating the "pot life" (i.e. useful working time) to see if it is practical to use in the pin-striping tool.

I would appreciate any feedback on the durability of the various types of paint and also others thoughts about the cosmetics of switching to the cream color for the stripes.  Changing things on Liahona is a heavy lift for me, yet that said, having just changed the boot-stripe to Desert Sand has been a great change that improved the appearance of the boat both to myself and many others who have commented on the appearance.  Wise advice to me a long time ago was, "never be the first to adopt a change and never be the last".

Opinions and experiences of all types are invited.

Gary S Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
lying Puerto Del Rey marina, Puerto Rico