Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Painting deck stripes - how much paint is needed??

Ian Townsend

We applied Brightside Hatteras White in late 2017.

What we learned.
1. We love the color and the match is very good. It's one of those things that really revitalizes the look of the SM, helping to defy its age.
2. We could not get the pinstripe tool to perform as advertised, despite watching video, experimenting and using varying amounts of thickening agent. Over time, we developed our own method to avoid sloppy lines. You'll also need artist brushes as there several areas the tool cannot reach.
3. We used less than a quart of Brightside for one coat.
4. It took about 60 hours for the first coat. WeAs Joel says, it takes patience and my wife definitely had more than me.
5. Not a lot of difference underfoot in terms of 'cooler' decks.
6. It's been on for only 15 months and thus far we've only put on one coat (like Mark says, we opt for fun!). Can't predict how long it will last but it's wearing well so far. Eventually we will get around to that second coat!

Note that we spend most of our time in Florida and the Bahamas.

Good luck!

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153
Exumas, Bahamas

On Feb 27, 2019, at 11:12 AM, Gary Silver via Groups.Io <garysilver@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi Bill and all:

I am preparing to re-paint my deck stripes "AGAIN".  This will be my third time (have owned the boat since new in 2001).  I previously used Interlux Brightside paint and it just does not hold up to Caribbean sun.  About 4-5 years before it oxidizes and starts to look shabby.  I am considering using Awlgrip this go round but it will be much more work and I am investigating the "pot life" (i.e. useful working time) to see if it is practical to use in the pin-striping tool.

I would appreciate any feedback on the durability of the various types of paint and also others thoughts about the cosmetics of switching to the cream color for the stripes.  Changing things on Liahona is a heavy lift for me, yet that said, having just changed the boot-stripe to Desert Sand has been a great change that improved the appearance of the boat both to myself and many others who have commented on the appearance.  Wise advice to me a long time ago was, "never be the first to adopt a change and never be the last".

Opinions and experiences of all types are invited.

Gary S Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
lying Puerto Del Rey marina, Puerto Rico