Re: Insurance updates.

Gary Silver

Alexandre:

I am so sad to hear of the pain and suffering you have received at the hands of your insurance company.  While I can certainly understand your feelings about insurance companies and I don't desire to worsen your pain and suffering, I can say that I had a reasonably good experience with my insurance claim.  The total repairs were about $135,000, my deductible was $16,000 and the difference was paid as a $60,000 advance to commence work, with the balance paid in a timely manner when work was completed.  I was insured by YachtInsure thru Offshore Risk Management (William Coates).  I was on site for 10 of the 16 weeks of the repairs and have over 2000 photos (daily about 50 photos taken by someone I hired to send those photos to me daily when I wasn't there).  It was very reassuring and helpful to be actively involved in the repairs as I was able to advise about the Amel construction techniques and features.  Fortunately the rubber scupper extrusion material was available from Amel or I don't know what we would have done.  The most un-satisfactory part of my insurance dealings is that the same insurer will not now insure the boat for the surveyed value.  I had to buy "Excess Insurance" to bring the value up to the desire limit.  I think the insurers are all reacting (dare I say over-reacting) to their losses in the Caribbean from Irma and Maria.
I sincerely hope that somewhere in the companies you are dealing with there is someone who is honest and will pay your claim, sooner rather than later.

All the best to you,

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335