Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Painting deck stripes - how much paint is needed??

I think it all points to 1-part marine paint and redeaux every 5-6 years😀. At least that is where I would up a few years ago.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 12:58 PM Gary Silver via Groups.Io <garysilver=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Bill for the confirmation of the color.

I have read and researched using Awlgrip for the stripes (as advised by the folks who did the repairs to Liahona and did her painting).  However, having just spoken with the Interlux Awlgrip technical representative I don't see how it will be feasible to use Awlgrip.  He indicated that the pot life for Awlgrip in 85 degrees is about 15 minutes to 30 minutes.  This he says is about as long as it takes to spray the hull of a 30 ft boat, but of course we aren't spraying and need a much longer pot life for this laborious process.

He suggested Interlux Perfection two part topsides paint that properly reduced will have about a one hour pot life at 85 degrees F.  I have used perfection in the past for some spar touch ups and it has indeed lasted well.  It does come in a Cream color that appears to be similar to the Awlgrip Cream color. AwlGrip and Perfection bothl require a two part epoxy primer for adhesion (thus adding to the manpower involved in this process) but the pot life of the primers is much longer  than the top-coats and won't be an issue.

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
Puerto Rico