Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Insurance updates.
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Date: Thursday, February 28, 2019, 12:49 PM

Alexandre:

I am so sad to hear of the
pain and suffering you have received at the hands of your
insurance company.  While I can certainly understand your
feelings about insurance companies and I don't desire to
worsen your pain and suffering, I can say that I had a
reasonably good experience with my insurance claim.  The
total repairs were about $135,000, my deductible was $16,000
and the difference was paid as a $60,000 advance to commence
work, with the balance paid in a timely manner when work was
completed.  I was insured by YachtInsure thru Offshore Risk
Management (William Coates).  I was on site for 10 of the
16 weeks of the repairs and have over 2000 photos (daily
about 50 photos taken by someone I hired to send those
photos to me daily when I wasn't there).  It was very
reassuring and helpful to be actively involved in the
repairs as I was able to advise about the Amel construction
techniques and features.  Fortunately the rubber scupper
extrusion material was available from Amel or I don't
know what we would have done.  The most un-satisfactory
part of my insurance dealings is that the same insurer will
not now insure the boat for the surveyed value.  I had to
buy "Excess Insurance" to bring the value up to
the desire limit.  I think the insurers are all reacting
(dare I say over-reacting) to their losses in the Caribbean
from Irma and Maria.
I sincerely hope
that somewhere in the companies you are dealing with there
is someone who is honest and will pay your claim, sooner
rather than later.

All
the best to you,

Gary S.