Re: Insurance updates.

John Clark

Hi All,
   Yes, I think everyone is paying more now.  My insurance went from $2600 to $4200, after switching companies when my insurer lost any underwriters for US boats in the Caribbean.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019, 3:38 PM Alexandre Uster von Baar via Groups.Io <uster=rocketmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Good afternoon Gary,

Thanks for your kind message.
As you know I have always been a big fan of yours and so thankful for the countless, excellent and so precise writings you provided the forum over the years.

I am definitely sorry about the damages you experienced during the Hurricane, but I am glad that you had an overall positive insurance experience, and glad Liahona was repaired properly!

I don’t doubt Helvetia will pay (by french law under I am governed) they have 2 years (so until November this year), but they surely try to get as much interest rate as they can…

Hope we meet one day!

Sincerely, Alexandre

On Thu, 2/28/19, Gary Silver via Groups.Io <garysilver=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Insurance updates.
 To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
 Date: Thursday, February 28, 2019, 12:49 PM

 Alexandre:

 I am so sad to hear of the
 pain and suffering you have received at the hands of your
 insurance company.  While I can certainly understand your
 feelings about insurance companies and I don't desire to
 worsen your pain and suffering, I can say that I had a
 reasonably good experience with my insurance claim.  The
 total repairs were about $135,000, my deductible was $16,000
 and the difference was paid as a $60,000 advance to commence
 work, with the balance paid in a timely manner when work was
 completed.  I was insured by YachtInsure thru Offshore Risk
 Management (William Coates).  I was on site for 10 of the
 16 weeks of the repairs and have over 2000 photos (daily
 about 50 photos taken by someone I hired to send those
 photos to me daily when I wasn't there).  It was very
 reassuring and helpful to be actively involved in the
 repairs as I was able to advise about the Amel construction
 techniques and features.  Fortunately the rubber scupper
 extrusion material was available from Amel or I don't
 know what we would have done.  The most un-satisfactory
 part of my insurance dealings is that the same insurer will
 not now insure the boat for the surveyed value.  I had to
 buy "Excess Insurance" to bring the value up to
 the desire limit.  I think the insurers are all reacting
 (dare I say over-reacting) to their losses in the Caribbean
 from Irma and Maria.
 I sincerely hope
 that somewhere in the companies you are dealing with there
 is someone who is honest and will pay your claim, sooner
 rather than later.

 All
 the best to you,

 Gary S.