Re: US State taxes

Thomas Peacock

As the lawyers say, it depends. Where is the boat officially registered? US, or still France? Are you planning on getting US registration? Are you a US citizen? If so, in which state do you officially reside?
As you have probably heard, Maryland can try to enforce collection of state taxes (I believe 6%). The state actually has unofficial “spies” who report vessels registered in other states but which are kept in Maryland. The main reason for this is that Delaware, which abuts Maryland, has no state tax. A lot of people would register the boat in Delaware, but keep it in Maryland. In fairness, Maryland spends a lot of money on upkeep of the Chesapeake, and pays a lot of wages to drawbridge operators.
That said, 2 to 3 months should be ok. If the boat is not registered in the US, you should be ok. Anything else gets a little gray, or maybe even black.
Either way, enjoy the Chesapeake, it is a unique wonder.

Tom Peacock
Aletes SM 240
St Augustine, Florida (but registered in Maryland)

On Mar 3, 2019, at 6:28 AM, Paul Cooper via Groups.Io <paul.cooper74@...> wrote:

Hello Amelians,

We have been planning on sailing our boat-- purchased from a French owner-- to the US.  I am concerned about being hit for a large state sales tax if we leave the boat in one place (Maryland) for 2-3 months.

Anyone know the lowdown on this and how to avoid paying a huge tax?

thanks in advance,

Paul
SM238 Maracuya
Caribbean