Re: Outhaul shaft removal

eric freedman

Being a big man with a big hammer,it really depends on what you hit with the hammer and how much force you use with the hammer. After supporting the boom upside down I gently used the Big Hammer  on just the bolt sticking out from the shaft. By using the weight of the hammer and GENTLY tapping the bolt, the shaft came out easily, Remember I was an engineer and then a jeweler for over 40 years-, I am used to working on things with a very gentle touch. bringing the boom to a shop with a press is essentially doing the same thing as I did with the hammer,

However I would never use a torch on the gearbox.
Fair Winds,
Eric
SM 376

On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 03:16 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS wrote:

On 05 MarHi,

Hi Barry

In Shelter Bay Marina Colon, Panama I was addressing this problem. I approached the yard asking for a man with a gas torch to heat it. Instead I got a big man with a big hammer and a puller. The result was a shattered housing. We were 36 hours from transiting the Canal. Fun.  He then used the gas torch as I had asked and it slipped off. So in my opinion beware a big man with a big hammer. I advised everyone after this to regularly remove and lanacote this shaft and avoid this issue forever. If done regularly it slips out easily.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

ch 2019 at 10:35 seagasm <seagasm@...> wrote:
OK, so how difficult to re-assemble it? do you have to use such force?

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171