Re: Outhaul shaft removal

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Eric,

I would never suggest you were a big man with a big hammer as I described in my very valid warning. I described the man and hammer provided by the Shelter Bay Marina yard against my wishes. However your move from a small big hammer to a full size sledge hammer would indicate an element of vigorous action as does the word "pounding". Not quite the delicate touch of a jeweler. A gas torch is a very effective and non damaging method of freeing resistant articles, as is heating in an oven. However the boom would not fit in an oven. Gas torches used for this work have a very broad flame and the heat used would not affect the hardening of the gears

Anyway in my case I had stripped the gearbox of most of its components.

Kind Regards

Danny

On 07 March 2019 at 12:33 eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Being a big man with a big hammer,it really depends on what you hit with the hammer and how much force you use with the hammer. After supporting the boom upside down I gently used the Big Hammer  on just the bolt sticking out from the shaft. By using the weight of the hammer and GENTLY tapping the bolt, the shaft came out easily, Remember I was an engineer and then a jeweler for over 40 years-, I am used to working on things with a very gentle touch. bringing the boom to a shop with a press is essentially doing the same thing as I did with the hammer,

However I would never use a torch on the gearbox.
Fair Winds,
Eric
SM 376

On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 03:16 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS wrote:

On 05 MarHi,

Hi Barry

In Shelter Bay Marina Colon, Panama I was addressing this problem. I approached the yard asking for a man with a gas torch to heat it. Instead I got a big man with a big hammer and a puller. The result was a shattered housing. We were 36 hours from transiting the Canal. Fun.  He then used the gas torch as I had asked and it slipped off. So in my opinion beware a big man with a big hammer. I advised everyone after this to regularly remove and lanacote this shaft and avoid this issue forever. If done regularly it slips out easily.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

ch 2019 at 10:35 seagasm <seagasm@...> wrote:
OK, so how difficult to re-assemble it? do you have to use such force?

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171