Re: Bow locker floor replacement.....

James Alton

Thomas,

   Glad to see that you are getting some good direction from Craig.  I would definitely take his advice about pre glassing the bottom of the panels.  I would only suggest that:

1.  If you are going to use plywood again to do everything that you can to seal all edges, holes to prevent water from getting in there again.
2.  I think that it is most cost effective to spend some money up front and use a high quality marine plywood of a wood species that has a “durable” rating. Some options would be a solid core Sapele,  Fir (be sure all plys are Fir, often only the faces are Fir these days, Bruyneel etc. so that you have rot resistant wood that will last quite a while even after the water gets in. (the anchor locker is a perpetually wet environment when the boat is in use without doing a lot of work so eventually water will get in)   Any of these quality plywoods should have a waterproof glue but be absolutely sure that at the minimum you have an exterior rating.  Many of the best Marine plywoods will bear the Loyds stamp.

Best of luck with your project,

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Mar 8, 2019, at 11:32 AM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Day 1 of the bow locker floor replacement. I'm reminded of the elder Moltke's tenet that no plan survives first contact with the enemy. As I cut the port bow locker's floor out, the 3 inch lip I was leaving to later mount the new floor on completely separated (wood from the fiberglass). Now there is only a 3 inch thin fiberglass lip with no plywood underneath it. There was no structure holding the plywood up from underneath along the port side. It seems to have been glassed/supported from the top only. When water penetrated the wood the fiberglass broke away. When the time comes to install the new floor, I suppose I will need to create the lip I thought would still be in place......thoughts ?