Re: Hawse Pipe Replacement

David Wallace

I'm late to this topic but following Craig's lead also replaced the hawse pipe with a pvc tube. When I cut out the remains of the corroded original part I still had 1-2” of perfectly good pipe on the top and bottom. So I cut the pvc to fit the gap as close as possible and then used a PVC DWV Mechanical Coupling (Home Depot) at each end to hold the tube in place and provide a watertight seal. As far as I can determine, I have no issue with windlass movement but will certainly keep checking for that.

Dave Wallace
s/v Air Ops
Maramu 104
Sea of Cortez

On Mar 7, 2019, at 11:57 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Gary et al,

The bolt in question is the starboard aft position. Without it in place and the winch loaded up the whole winch moved so it isn't a question of where was the deck flexing. The body of the winch, without that bolt was bring pulled to lean forward. It was particularly noticeable when breaking the anchor free. I have no reason to believe there was any other cause and I noted once again the Captains attention to detail in not relying on a GRP deck but adding the certain strength of the bolt through the flange onto the hawse pipe. With that bolt in place movement is NIL and has been so for many years. So again I commend caution and attention to this detail when choosing a repair system. The load on the anchor winch can at times be considerable, we are not always anchored in calm water on a clean bottom with little wind.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

With On 08 March 2019 at 08:07 "Gary Silver via Groups.Io" <garysilver@...> wrote:

Hi Danny:

Thanks for that re-iteration.  Can you describe in more detail where the deck was flexing?  Was it just at the bolt location or over a wider area?  The deck is stiffened also by the vertical fore-aft wall between the port and starboard sides.   Was the tab on the hawse pipe acting merely as a backing plate or was it the fiberglass collar with the hawse pipe as an assemblage that provided stiffening.

I remember years ago Joel warned against attaching an inner forestay to the cleat on the winch or to the decking in that area without carrying the loads down to tougher structure.

Thanks for any additional insight you might provide.

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335