Re: Maramu anchor and chain suggestions

James Alton

Michael,

   Thanks a lot for your help.  The 33kg Rocna does look like it is a great fit for the stock Amel anchor handling gear as you indicated and also shown in your photo.  The Rocna looks like a really strong anchor, especially the shank.  How do you find the holding of this anchor for your Maramu?

   Has anyone used the Mantus 39kg or 48kg on their Maramu?  The Mantus appears to fit the SM2000 pretty well but I don’t know how much of a difference there between the Amel anchor handlers of these two models.  The reviews of this anchor look very positive so any comments about the Mantus positive or negative would be appreciated.

   It is really helpful to know about the anchor locker limits for rode length in order to prevent jamming.  I think that will limit the chain to no more than the 80m of chain that you suggested if I go with the 10mm size.  I am guessing that the 100m of the 8mm chain would probably fit without jamming?  I like the larger links of the 10mm since this allows  splicing up to 7/8” nylon direct to the chain.

   I am guessing that you are saying that 100m  of the stainless 10mm  should work without jamming because it has less of a tendency to pile up due to the smoother links.  I have not used a stainless anchor chain before but having seen and experienced so many corrosion related failures in stainless over the years that without learning more about the stainless option I would tend to be more comfortable with the galvanized steel.

Thanks again for the help!

James Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Mar 10, 2019, at 10:01 AM, amel@... wrote:

Hi James,

I am running a 33kg Rocna on my Maramu #148 and it fits perfectly:

<rocna2018.png>

Never had problems with the anchor dangling to the hull (except for the few occasion when I forgot to haul it in completely after cleaning it and increasing speed to over 3.5 kn).

As for the chain, you shout be aware that with 100m you will have to sort out the chain in the locker when pulling it in, as it will pile up. Regularly my 100m chain will block on the last 10-20m if I do not deal with the pile in the locker in time.

Either stick to 80m or use (very expensive - you need chrome duplex steel in the warmer waters) stainless steel chain. I wouldn't recommend switching to 8mm chain even if it maybe stronger than standard 10mm chain. True, you save on weight, but you also loose the weight where you need it, in the water.

Michael Konz, SY Sioned, Maramu #148