Re: Maramu anchor and chain suggestions

James Alton

Michael,

  Thanks for sharing your experience with the Rocna and for the insight on the Chrome Duplex, I had never heard of it until your post.  From the research I have done to date it appears that the Rocna would be a big step up in holding from my original Buegel anchor and it is well proven.   The Mantus is an anchor of interest to me as well, mostly because it seems to be unusually reliable in resetting.   It can of course be hard to separate the hype from fact so I am still pondering…   I am concerned a bit about how light the shank is on the Mantus.

  I am really hoping to hear from another Maramu owner that has used the Mantus to know for sure if it would even fit my boat before I make my final decision but I understand that this anchor has not been around all that long so maybe no one has tried it yet.  The side profile and angle of the plough portion of the anchor is very similar to the Rocna which looks encouraging.  The shank is longer in the sizes I am looking at but I think that there should be enough deck space.   I have seen the Mantus on a few Super Maramus and they appear to fit pretty well.  If anyone with a Super Maramu would like to comment on what they think of this anchor on their Amel I would sure appreciate the input.

Best,

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Mar 10, 2019, at 11:31 AM, amel@... wrote:

Hi James,

in my experience the Rocna has excellent holding power. I weathered the Medicane in Greece last October with this Anchor (45+ kn winds for several hours) and also used it on a couple of occasion with similar wind speeds.
It sets quite fast within 1-2 m of the drop point. It has some problems on weed, but so has nearly every other anchor.

Yes, I suggested that a stainless steel chain has a much better tendency to stow itself because it is more "slick". But as you pointed out, stainles steel is not stainless steel. While in cold waters like Northern Europe you may do ok with AISI 316 (1.4401) quality for a while (1.4571 would be better if you anchor often), in the Med and in tropical regions the only material you can use for any prolonged perios without corrosion problems is 1.4462 Chrome Duplex.
Unfortunately it has a price tag 4 times the one of galvanized steel - which did keep me away from it so far ;)