Re: Sharki shaft alternator

Mark Erdos

Danny,

The opposite is true on Cream Puff. There is a French sticker by the throttle that says to put the gear in forward when sailing and leave it there. We do not have a shaft break or alternator. We also start the engine (when the boat is moving forward) with it in gear per the sign. This seemed odd to me but Miles from Lady Bug has the same sticker and speaks fluent French.

We are fitted with an AutoProp and for some reason this makes a difference (and of cause the engine on Amel faces the wrong way – not sure if this also effects it). We are unable to stop the rotation of the shaft in reverse. It will still slowly turn. We hear the reassuring clunk in forward and the shaft will not move. I really do not know all the mechanics involved but just follow the sign.

This all obviously varies by vessel, engine, prop etc.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 2:39 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Sharki shaft alternator

Hi.

The reason being that it locks in reverse but in forward the clutch plates are lightly engaged and the propeller turns slowly causing wear to the plates. Try it with the engine cover up when sailing with the shift in neutral and the prop will be spinning. Engage forward and it will slow, engage reverse and there is a satisfying clunk and it stops.

However mine for some reason not known sometimes stops in reverse, sometimes in forward so I always check for that satisfying clunk.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 12 March 2019 at 07:18 Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:

Miles
The Santorin has a Hurth gearbox. The instruction by the gear shift says not to put into forward gear whilst sailing. Must be a reason.

Ian

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.