Re: Companionway Door Seal - New Photos Album & Photos

James Alton

Gary,

    I just went through the photo albums that you updated for us and it is such an improvement over the old system.    Because of the organization, I was able to find many useful photos pertaining to my boat and projects.  Thank you for all of your efforts in organizing the photos and for your other contributions as well.

    I badly need to change what may well be the original slider seal on Sueno’s slider hatch so I will definitely be going over in detail the seal you created for the slider out of silicone sheet referred to in your post below.

Thanks again!

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Mar 12, 2019, at 12:17 AM, Gary Silver via Groups.Io <garysilver@...> wrote:

Hi all:
I just posted a series of photographs showing the replacement of my companionway door seal.  I did this about 4 years ago.  I have owned the boat since new and the original Amel seal began failing at about year 10 and by year 13 demanded attention.  I was un-successful in obtaining original Amel material (no longer available).  I couldn't find anything in the automotive industry that I found suitable, so I fabricated my own.  I am an aircraft mechanic and almost daily utilize red silicone sheet rubber for engine baffling.  It is very durable and doesn't deform with fuel, oil, heat etc.  It has held up well for the last 4 years.  I fabricated from teak an obtuse triangular shim to hold the silicone seal material in place against the door in a squeegee like fashion.  The photos are in the album entitled:
"Modifications - Companionway Door Seal".  I'll try and post a dimensional drawing of the shim and a source for the seal material soon.

Hope this may of be of use to some.

Gary S Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000  #335