Re: Maramu anchor and chain suggestions

James Alton

Colin and Lauren,

   Thanks for your input.  I am hearing nothing but great things about the Rocna and am sure that it would be a big upgrade from my current anchor.  I am still not sure of which anchor to go with.  I like the idea of going with a longer rode but apparently beyond 80m on the Maramu the chain castles are a problem.  I am thinking of looking into a way to locate the last 20-30M into the very bow of the locker which would allow the extra length but require manually reloading the first bit of chain if it was ever used.

   If you make it all of the way to Florida, I might be able to help you with the chain but it sounds like you are headed West.  Fair winds!

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Mar 11, 2019, at 2:17 PM, islandpearl2_sm2k332 <colin.d.streeter@...> wrote:

James

Apology, I cannot assist with the Maramu specific anchor fit question, but would say we have been very happy with our Rocna 40kg. Now more than half the way around the world, it has only ever dragged once in the Maldives on rock when we stopped briefly for an hour to refuel in Gan and did not put enough chain out, nor pull back on it.

If the Rocna 33 fits your bow that is what I would fit. We had one on our last boat (Island Packet 40) and it was perfect

On the question of length, I would agree that 100m instead of the standard 80m would be a good idea. We also want to upgrade to 100m or 110m x 10mm chain now before heading over the Pacific. I personally would not go down to 8mm.

Does anyone know of a good quality (Well priced!) chain supplier here in the Caribbean?? We are in BVI'S now, and headed to St Martin next before Bonaire and Panama..

Cheers
Colin & Lauren
SV Island Pearl II
Peter Island, BVI'S

On Sat, 9 Mar. 2019, 10:34 James Alton via Groups.Io, <lokiyawl2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Maramu owners,

   I am not at my boat currently so need some help.  Can Maramu owners suggest modern anchors that are known to fit the original Amel anchor rollers on the Maramu?  I would like to upgrade from the original Bugel anchor to something with a bit better holding.  The Mantus,  Spade and the Rocna are of interest to me.    I am concerned about the tendency of the anchor to strike the bow when being stowed and how well the anchor stows in the original Amel hardware.

   I am also planing to increase the chain length to at least 100 meters.  Has anyone switched to high strength (I believe it is grade 80?) 8mm chain to help keep the weight and the chain piles down as compared to the 10mm?  I am not concerned about not being able to regalvanize the chain which I understand can weaken the grade 80.

   Short term cruising will be Croatia and Greece.  Hope to be in the Pacific in 4-5 years and I seem to recall suggestions to consider even more than 100 meters of chain?

Thanks for any insight and suggestions.

James

SV Sueno
Maramu #220