Re: Maramu anchor and chain suggestions

James Alton

Michael,

   This is great information and I enjoyed the injection of humour as well!

Two questions:

1.  Is there room in the locker in your opinion to install a small partial bulkhead perhaps at the forward end that would separate and contain the troublesome 20-30m of chain?   I have done this on some other boats that have the chain castle problem.  The idea was to just move the initial portion of the chain pile to a location not under the chain hawse hole.  The solution on other boats worked but of course the first 20-30m of chain needs to be manually  anytime that last bit of chain is put to use.

2.  Do you think that 100m of 8mm grade 80 chain would stack without resorting to the chain rat technique?   If so is there a good reason not to consider this solution?  I am pretty sure that there is at least one SM that is using the 8mm chain to reduce the weight.

Thanks for the great advice.

James
SV Sueno, Maramu #220

On Mar 12, 2019, at 10:43 AM, amel@... wrote:

Hi James,

I consider 80m chain the minimum (which is unfortunately also the maximum for our boats unless you have your spouse playing chain rat and guiding the chain inside the locker when it is coming in) for mooring stern to with bow anchor.
If you go for 100m (which in all other aspects would be better) you should also install a radio controlled remote for your windlass, so that you can play chain rat yourself (at least as long there is no other traffic around). If I am alone and have to look out for other traffic, I pull in the chain except for the last 15-20m, hurry down to the chain locker (which I opened before), give the chain pile a kick and hurry back on deck to pull in the remaining chain. This way I can avoid a blocking most of the time. It is a pity that the chain locker is not accessible from deck.

Using less than 80m can be so embarassing if you still have 3m to the quay at the end of the chain ;). I even managed to do that with my full 100m in a wide basin where I misguessed the distance. I observed a guy once doing this mistake thrice in a row.

You normally want to use as much chain as possible in the harbour for a few reasons:
- You have to be absolutely sure that the anchor holds because between your stern and the concrete of the wall are less than 2 m. And some ferries can do a lot of surge.
- Most charter guys use less chain (probably because they don't have more on their boats). So your own anchor is out of the danger zone of their anchors.
- Some harbours have derelict mooring chains on the ground. You need to drop your anchor far beyond it unless you want to make the local diver happy (though there ARE some ways to get your anchor free again without diving).

Michael, SY Sioned, Maramu #148