Re: Companionway Door Seal - New Photos Album & Photos

Gary,

This is a perfect way to replace the door seal/squeegee. I am very impressed! I assume the teak piece could also be machined from stainless steel, or aluminum?

It seems to me that there has to be some entrepreneur, somewhere who could make up about 100+ of these and sell them to Amel owners. As the SN, SM and 54 continue to age, and the fact that parts are not always available, finding the best replacements is going to be an increasing challenge. I wish that I could find the guy, with tools available, and the patience to deal with us to do fabricate some of these things. In fact, if we find that guy, we should publish his information here.

Which reminds me, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> has done this for hard-to-get parts such as the SM2k Bow Thruster control PCB and the genoa car adjustable traveller block for SMs (Jib Car Pulley). Mark, I know you are reading.😀

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 12:03 AM James Alton via Groups.Io <lokiyawl2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Gary,

    I just went through the photo albums that you updated for us and it is such an improvement over the old system.    Because of the organization, I was able to find many useful photos pertaining to my boat and projects.  Thank you for all of your efforts in organizing the photos and for your other contributions as well.

    I badly need to change what may well be the original slider seal on Sueno’s slider hatch so I will definitely be going over in detail the seal you created for the slider out of silicone sheet referred to in your post below.

Thanks again!

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Mar 12, 2019, at 12:17 AM, Gary Silver via Groups.Io <garysilver@...> wrote:

Hi all:
I just posted a series of photographs showing the replacement of my companionway door seal.  I did this about 4 years ago.  I have owned the boat since new and the original Amel seal began failing at about year 10 and by year 13 demanded attention.  I was un-successful in obtaining original Amel material (no longer available).  I couldn't find anything in the automotive industry that I found suitable, so I fabricated my own.  I am an aircraft mechanic and almost daily utilize red silicone sheet rubber for engine baffling.  It is very durable and doesn't deform with fuel, oil, heat etc.  It has held up well for the last 4 years.  I fabricated from teak an obtuse triangular shim to hold the silicone seal material in place against the door in a squeegee like fashion.  The photos are in the album entitled:
"Modifications - Companionway Door Seal".  I'll try and post a dimensional drawing of the shim and a source for the seal material soon.

Hope this may of be of use to some.

Gary S Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000  #335