Re: Bow locker floor replacement.....

karkauai

Hi Thomas,
I also had the unfortunate experience of my chain getting rusted into a ball.  I managed to get it out with a pneumatic chisel while pulling the end of the chain up with a halyard, but it took about 40 man-hours.  I acquired the nickname Rusty for that project.

A friend’s slight 13 year old farm kid is great with all kinds of tools and heavy equipment. He crawled into the chain locker.  He used a vibrating saw to cut a 4”x4” hole in the false floor and found the area below it completely filled with mud and small particles of rust that he was able to remove with a shopvac.  We screwed an 8”x8” piece of StarBoard to the top of the cut out that keeps it from falling back into the bottom.

I was surprised that the exit hole where water leaves the chain locker was located just below the false floor.  So that space stays full of water all the time.  Not sure why the hole wasn’t at the bottom of the bulkhead at the V of the hull.

 I have since had to replace the floors of the bow lockers (there are a couple of threads here about this).  I used a very strong light weight sandwich board material (sorry, don’t remember what it’s called).  I cut access ports in the new floors and made them water-tight (the frames are screwed down on the remaining sandwich board with a rubber gasket, so access isn’t easy, but it is there if you need it.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

On Mar 11, 2019, at 12:36 PM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Thanks to all for the words of wisdom I'm getting. Because I wasn't that careful with debris, the dust and wood chips combined with the mud already there to clog my anchor locker drain (entering through the permanent grating). While I was able to access the line to clear it out both from the T connection near the shower and the drain fitting inside the locker, getting the mud/other stuff out requires one to be inside the chain locker with some kind of vacuum poked through the grate, if it's really clogged. Which brings me to my question. I'm leaning towards an ingress hatch so I can get inside the chain locker. Just continually blowing the clog free with water/compressed air seems to be kicking the can down the road a bit. Thoughts ? Note- Since I achieved the age of 6, I lost the ability to pass through the bulkhead access door. I'm wondering if part of the reason my previous 5 year old chain became a ball of rust was incomplete drainage from the locker. I can't say I regularly emptied enough chain out of the locker to allow for a visual inspection.