Re: Maramu anchor and chain suggestions

James Alton

Michael,

   Thanks for providing the link for the chain shackle, that looks like a positive way to connect a snubber.    As it turns out I am preparing an order through SVB so this was good timing.  We have always used a snubber since we also consider it to be essential  but I want to have several backups prepared and ready to add if needed.  It seems to be difficult for find Nylon line in Italian Chanderlies for some reason so I will bring more with us on the next trip over.  I have also decided  to try eliminating the original stainless anchor swivel used on my Bugel for the chain to anchor connection also over concerns of it potentially being a weak point though it has never given us a problem.  If I start having problems stowing the anchor due to twists, I will revisit the swivel options but otherwise fewer connections seems like the way to go.

   I think I will go ahead and order the 100m of the 10mm chain and try Tom’s solution to deal with the chain castle problem.  Worst case scenario I can always cut some off if it becomes too much of a problem.

   I just looked again at the weight of 8mm chain and this time what came up was 14kg for 10m.  I might have made a math error or typo in my previous post.

Best,

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Mar 13, 2019, at 6:41 AM, amel@... wrote:

Hi James,

yes, I will try out Toms solution. Will need probably some rod to help push the first 20m chain forward in the locker.

As for the chain shackle for the snubber, I am using this one:

https://www.svb24.com/en/chain-gripper-chain-shackle.html

I don't think there will be any chance of it coming loose unexpectedly. I am also using just a standard quality shackle to connect the chain to the anchor. Not a fancy swiveling one. I don't deem those to be necessary and they are a weak point, and you normally cannot check the swivel for corrosion. But opinions differ about this topic.

Using a snubber is always a good idea and I cannot understand the people not using one. Just keep in mind that a snubber has a maximum extension, too. If that is reached in heavy weather you are back to the point where any additional force will reach the anchor unmitigated. But then there is not much else you can do at that point but pray.

I took the 13kg for the 8mm chain from catalog data. I think it might depend on the actual material used.

Michael Konz, SY Sioned, Maramu #148