Re: Gross tonnage on SM

Pat,

The terms Gross Tonnage and Net Tonnage are terms that were invented by I believe the British Royal Navy. They are calculated numbers that should tell you how much cargo a vessel is capable of carrying. These terms have little to do with weight of the vessel.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 7:10 AM Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
We checked in yesterday here in Montserrat and were charged ,based on gross tonnage,this has happened on other island as well. I think we are paying more than we should,because I believe our ship papers are wrong. Our papers show gross tonnage to be 58 GRT ,net 46 NRT. That sounds high to me,could someone confirm the correct tonnage?
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans