Re: Earth bonding and watermaker

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Arno,

I have the Duo 100 aboard and have had problems with corrosion as well.  It was most noticeable at the small interconnects between the membranes and caused leakage. I discussed this with the engineer who designed these 2 units.

He said the AMEL bonding system was at fault and the corrosion would end if I omitted the grounding connection.  I did this last year and I am pleased with the absence of corrosion.  He also mentioned that the bonding issue had been a problem with AMELs but that AMEL would not modify their POV on the matter.

(In future, if I need to replace my water maker, it will not be Dessalator.  Their after sales service is so SICK that Lagoon catamorons have dropped them.  I feel DESSALATOR is headed to failure)

Jean-Pierre Germain

On 15 Mar 2019, at 01:50, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I'm wondering about a thing after removing my Duo watermaker. I noticed quite some galvanic corrosion despite the fact that the green/yellow bonding wire was attached at several points to the watermaker.
I was actually just in time taking the thing apart as I'm still able to salvage all the important bits.
From traces I could see I'm guessing one of the endcaps on the pump has been leaking also given the amount of salt build-up at the chassis and pump-base.

What I'm wondering about is the bonding sytem. Is it also connected to the shore power earth lead? From earlier conversations I vaguely remember it was not connected.  If not then why is the earth connection of the 230 Volt pump connected to the mains earth?

Any advise appreciated.

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121